Go to content Go to the menu Go to the search

Student visa or titre de séjour

Quick access, personalized services


Advanced search



Zamansky Tower

16th floor, office 1605

tél. +33 (0)1 44 27 41 16



Opening hours:

Monday- Friday, 9:30-17:00


Arrival formalities

European students are exempt from the requirement to hold a residence permit since 2003.


A non-European student who wishes to study in France must have a long-stay visa or a residence permit.


Since 2009, holders of a student visa, valid for more than three months, are no longer required to visit the local prefecture of police to obtain a residency permit during the first year of their stay in France. The long stay visa is de facto equivalent to a residence permit.


During the second year of stay in France, the student has to apply for a residence permit.


Formalities upon arrival in France


If you hold a student visa for a period exceeding three months marked "étudiant et CEDESA R311-3 6°", you must send the form "Request for attestation OFII" that you received at the embassy to the Office of immigration and integration "OFII"Nouvelle fenêtre. In the following you will be invited to a medical examination to validate your visa. You have up to 3 months to complete this process.


During the beginning of the academic year, from September to November, the OFII is transferred to the Cité internationale universitaire de ParisNouvelle fenêtre (CIUP).


If you are a student of Algerian nationality, you must apply for a resident permit upon arrival in France.

If you live in Paris, you can go to the plattform of the CIUP between September and November. Outside this period, you must report to the Prefecture of your place of residence. If you live in Paris, you need to report to the prefecture of ParisNouvelle fenêtre, if you live in the region of Paris ("Ile-de"France"), you must report to the prefecture of your departmentNouvelle fenêtre.


Important to know:

The student visa is imperative for obtaining a residence permit. The law prohibits to transform a tourist visa into a student visa after arrival in France.

The student visa/residence permit is valid for one year and must be renewed upon presentation of a new university registration.


Renewal of visa/residence permit


We advise you to renew your visa/residence permit and to make an appointment with the prefecture about 5 months before expiry of your visa/ residence permit. If you live in Paris, you need to report to the prefecture of ParisNouvelle fenêtre, if you live in the region of Paris, you must report to the prefecture of your department.Nouvelle fenêtre


Important to know:

You can already apply for the renewal of your old card before you have obtained your new enrollment certificate for the next school year. Don't wait until you have received it because you risk to obtain an appointment 5 months later.