Go to content Go to the menu Go to the search

Student Social Security

Quick access, personalized services


Advanced search

Student social security

On registering at the university, you benefit from student social security cover, which reimburses 70% of your medical expenses.  For students that are 20 years old in the academic year, the social security card is normally obtained during registration, subject to the payment of a subscription of 195 euros.
There are two student social security centres:


6 rue des fossés Saint-Jacques 75005 Paris - RER B Luxembourg, from Monday to Thursday from 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Fridays from 9.30 to 1 p.m.
10 rue Linné 75005 Paris - Métro Jussieu from Monday to Thursday from 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Fridays from 9.30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
To contact the LMDE, dial 3260 and say "LMDE" or go to www.lmde.frNouvelle fenêtre


54 Bd St Michel 75006 Paris from Monday to Thursday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
To contact the SMEREP Tel. +33 (0)156 54 36 34 or www.smerep.frNouvelle fenêtre
Good to know!  Students on grants are exempt from paying social security contributions.  You can obtain further information from the Grants Office.


If you are an employed student, working 60 hours per month or 120 hours per quarter, you are automatically covered when you are declared by your employer and insofar as your activity is carried out throughout the academic year.
If you are a student and over 28 years old, your rights are maintained until your 29th birthday, if you have paid into the student social security scheme for at least two years prior to your new university registration.
If you are a doctoral student, you can benefit form the student social security scheme until you are 32 years old.  You may also be eligible under a person paying social security contributions (partner, parent, etc.).
If you come from a member country of the European Economic Area and have a European health insurance card (CEAM; carte européenne d’assurance maladie), (the 15 European Union member countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway), your medical expenses are reimbursed without paying into the student social security scheme.  This card must be requested in your country of origin.
To have your medical expenses directly reimbursed, you must contact CPAM (Caisse primaire d’assurance maladie; state health insurance office), centre 461, located at 175, rue de Bercy 75586 Paris cedex 12 (tel.: +33 (0)140 19 53 18), if you live in Paris or the CPAM in your area of residence, if you live in the suburbs.