Go to content Go to the menu Go to the search

Scientific and Technical Research Allowances

Quick access, personalized services


Advanced search

Scientific and Technical Research Allowances

To receive a scientific and technical research allowance you must be a doctoral student.  This contract agreed with the state will enable you, as a doctoral student, to devote yourself to your research and thesis. Awarded for one year, the grant can be renewed twice.  The amount of the allowance is €1,650 gross monthly from the 1st October 2007, indexed on the civil service salary assessment.

Would you like to receive a research allowance?

You must apply at the beginning of the first academic year immediately following the date on which you obtained your Masters or its exemption.  This deadline does not apply to candidates that have passed the agrégation.  Nevertheless, special dispensations are possible if, between the year of obtaining the Masters and the year of application, you have:
carried out your national service, whatever its duration, or accompanied your partner carrying out their national service abroad;
prepared, for a year, and presented the agrégation or CAPES;
carried out the agrégation or CAPES practical internship;
been on maternity or sick leave for more than four consecutive months;
carried out an internship of no more than one year abroad;
completed your entrance examination in your specialist field for medical and pharmacology interns, after a year's research preparing for a Masters in research or a DEA (diplome d'etudes approfondies; pre-doctoral diploma).

What is the prerequisite for applying for an allowance?

As a research allowance applicant, you must have obtained your Masters in France or an equivalent diploma in a country that has signed the European Higher Education Area agreement.

Until what age can you receive this allowance?

You must be under 25 years old at the end of the calendar year in which you enrol on the first year of the thesis.  Special dispensations are possible for students who are under 30 years old on the 1st January of the year of application.

For further information, visit the website of the French Ministry of Education, Higher Education and ResearchNouvelle fenêtre.

You can also visit the websiteNouvelle fenêtre of the Mairie de Paris, which gives precise details on grants and researcher support.